Cam’Ron Kelly announced on Twitter this evening that he has decided to decommit from Virginia Tech.
— Cam'Ron Kelly (@CamRonJKelly) July 22, 2018
The four-star cornerback previously committed to the Hokies on June 7th after not including the Hokies in his top 8. However, it does appear that the Hokies will remain one of the top contenders for Kelly going forward.
With Kelly’s departure, the Hokies now have two true defensive backs committed in Nyquee Hawkins and Mike Sainristil while also having commitments from Richmond athletes Jahad Carter and Jaden Payoute, both of whom could play DB (though Carter would be the more likely of the pair).
Virginia Tech has been quite successful at regaining commitments from previous commits during the Justin Fuente era including Phil Patterson in 2016, Tyjuan Garbutt in 2017, and DeJuan Ellis in 2018.
Cam’Ron Kelly in the Recruiting Rankings
Kelly is ranked as the 184th best recruit nationally by Rivals, 174th best by the 247 Sports Composite, 181st best by 247 Sports, and 229th best by ESPN. In the state of Virginia, Kelly is ranked fifth best by all four major recruiting rankings. ESPN ranks Kelly as the 20th best cornerback in the country, Rivals ranks him as the 14th best safety, 247 Sports ranks him as the 20th best athlete, and the 247 Sports Composite ranks him as the 12th best athlete.
Cam’Ron Kelly’s Offer List (According to 247 Sports)
- ACC: Virginia Tech, Clemson, Florida State, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Louisville, NC State, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Syracuse
- SEC: Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
- Big 10: Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Rutgers
- Big 12: Oklahoma, West Virginia
- Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, Washington State
- Independent: Notre Dame
- AAC: Navy, Temple, UCF
- Conference USA: Florida Atlantic, Old Dominion
- Sun Belt: Coastal Carolina
- FCS: James Madison