After Mike Young and the Virginia Tech basketball program flipped four-star SG and now former Northwestern commit Joe Bamisile earlier this week, Justin Fuente and the Virginia Tech football program followed suit flipping three-star WR Tyree Saunders from USF to the Hokies.
Saunders chose the Hokies over offers from in-state South Florida, Kansas State, Iowa State, East Carolina, and others. For now, Saunders is the only wide receiver commit in the 2020 class with the Hokies also pursuing four-star WR KeAndre Lambert.
Saunders received an offer in early June
after impressing the Hokies at their satellite camp in part because he was able to run a 4.44 40 time. Since then, Saunders quickly emerged as the top slot receiver target in this class given his speed along with having good length at 6'0'' for a slot receiver.
Tyree Saunders in the Recruiting Rankings
In the state of Florida, Saunders is ranked 97th best by ESPN
, 102nd best by 247 Sports
, and 108th best by the 247 Sports Composite. Among wide receivers, Saunders is ranked 113th best by ESPN, 124th best by the 247 Sports Composite, and 136th best by 247 Sports. Rivals
rates Saunders as a three-star recruit.
Tyree Saunders' Offer List (According to 247 Sports)
- ACC: Virginia Tech
- Big 12: Iowa State, Kansas State
- AAC: Connecticut, East Carolina, South Florida
- Conference USA: FAU, FIU, Marshall, Middle Tennessee State, Southern Miss, UAB, Western Kentucky
- MAC: Akron, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Kent State, Toledo
- Mountain West: Colorado State
- Sun Belt: Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, Troy
- FCS: Mercer, Savannah State, Southern
Stay up with The Tech Lunch Pail for the latest on Virginia Tech. Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Subscribe to our email updates.